Quarantine Updates

Hello from quarantine! 


So how's life for this graduate student? Actually, pretty good. I am still able to continue my research in the field and greenhouse, go on daily runs/walks, and have plenty of time to chat with friends, read, and write!

So here's some updates on the series.

  1.  I currently have over 19,000 words written on Book Two: The Bloody Diamond. And so far, there are some great scenes. 💓 This book really allows the reader to discover the world that these characters are living in and gives insights into their family and social dramas. Trust me, it's going to be good.
  2. Due to the quarantine and high amount of submissions that Baen receives, they still have about 955 submissions to go until they read mine. So.... about 6-9 months still. 😕 But it is what it is.
  3. But while waiting, I have discovered another promising publisher called Aethon Books. They are mostly e-books and audio books but do print-on-demand as well. I liked the look of their website and current published books, plus their submission guidelines wasn't complicated, so I sent off a submission! *fingers crossed* 
And there you have it, my quarantine updates. If anything exciting happens, I'll be sure to let y'all know! Oh and enjoy a draft snippet below from book two between Cody and Elena. 😍



☼ ELENA ☼
I moved silently down the stairs and past the drunkards sleeping on the tables and floors. Stepping out into the fresh air, the chill nipped at my nose, the sunlight barely tipping over the horizon. But there, off to the side of the inn, was Cody. He was dressed once again in his training outfit, his breath visible, and he had one sword unsheathed, raised above his head. I quietly made my way toward him. I was only about five feet away when I realized that the sword was lower than before. My breath caught in my throat. He was performing a Seelyu, but at such a slow pace, it was as if he wasn’t moving.
His eyes were closed, and I flinched when he suddenly spoke. “Were you looking for me, Elena?”
“Yes. I was worried when I awoke, and you were gone.”
He smiled slightly, his eyes still closed. “I do this every morning. You just woke up sooner today.”
I had Sodom to thank for that.
“Do I mind if I watch you? I’ve never seen such a perfect Seelyu.
A snort escaped his lips, the breath visible as it floated away. “That, is thanks to my father. And yes, you can watch. You could even join me if you’d like.”
I shook my head. “I’d rather watch for now.”
“If you must.” My cheeks flushed but fortunately, he kept his eyes closed. I then found a comfortable spot on a barrel and watched as Cody moved through the Seelyu.
“Which move are you practicing?”
“The dancing spider.”
“Hmm…I don’t know that one.”
Cody smirked. “You wouldn’t. It was a move only my father knew.” His movements began to speed up. “My father would make me practice these every morning since I could lift a sword. I abhorred it. If I did even one spot too fast, he would make me restart from the beginning.” The sword cut through the air, faster and faster with his every word.
“Then, when he died, I couldn’t even touch a sword. What good was it? When it didn’t save him?” He spat out the words, as if the pain was still raw. Perhaps it was. “But then after two years of that, Jake knocked some sense into me.” The sword became a blur and Cody’s feet danced across the ground. Then the sword struck the wood next to me, Cody’s arm outstretched, sweat glistening on his forehead, his brown eyes filled with what I could only describe as power. “Now I never miss a day.”
I glanced at the sword and then back at him, breathless. “That- that was incredible.”
Barely breathing hard, Cody grabbed a small towel from the ground, wiping the back of his neck. “Thanks. Sorry if I scared you at the end.”
I frowned at his words but then looked back his sword, embedded in the wood next to me. My eyes went wide. “Faher’s sake, Cody. Did you really have to throw it?”
A wonderful laugh escaped his lips. “No but, where’s the fun in that?”
“What if you had missed?”
He scoffed. “Me? Miss?”
I struggled to find my words when Samantha’s voice came from the inn’s door. “Cody, Elena, you better come get your hot breakfast before Lisa eats it all!”
“Coming Samantha.” I hopped off the barrel and turned to Cody. “Will you teach me how to do that?”
Cody yanked his sword from the wood, sheathing it in one fluid movement. “I think I can teach you something.”

Comments