2019 Update

Hey everyone, sorry for the horrendously late update. So... what's happened since I last posted? Well...a lot and not a lot. 

Where to start?

  1. December 27th, 2018 - I mailed my manuscript to DAW and.... they lost it... yep, you heard me right. They lost my manuscript. They said they never received it 😭
  2. July 6th, 2018 - I submit my manuscript to DAW via their new online submission form.
  3. July 30th, 2018 - My manuscript is rejected by DAW. It was a simple rejection letter but no worries, I already had a plan in mind.
  4. August 8th, 2018 - I submit the first three chapters of my manuscript to Writers Digest for line editing. What is that? Well, as their site describes it, "A professional editor will comb through every line of your manuscript, looking for style issues, grammatical errors, storytelling inconsistencies, misspellings, and more."
  5. September 2nd, 2018 - My editor returns my manuscript with her comments and suggestions and wow! It was super helpful. You see, I've never actually taken a writing class before and this opened my eyes on how to polish my work. Highly recommend this site for any writers out there.
And thus, began the process of going through myself and editing my manuscript via the notes I made from the editor's suggestions. And the difference in my writing is immense. My sister, who has heard every transcription of this story, states that she can truly hear my story progressing. I hope that's the case! But I won't know for sure until I start the publication process again. 

So what is my current plan?

Well, I had to put a pause on editing for months since I started my second year of my PhD program at the end of September but now, I am on summer break, and am moving forward full force. Once I finish personally editing my manuscript, I will send it back to Writers Digest for a full line edit. That will cost ~$2000 but if it helps my book get published, then it will be worth it. Once those edits are completed, I will resubmit to DAW and other publishing companies. If none of those work, well, then I'll self-publish on Amazon because in the end, I want my friends and family to enjoy my story and they can't do that, if they can never read it. 

This is comparing the original manuscript to the polished manuscript. 
Can you see difference? 😜

Comments